Okay, here we go again.
I didn’t get as much peer feedback as I expected on my draft logo, so after deciding which version of my logo draft I wanted to use, most of the revisions that I did to get to the final product involved experimenting with the font (placement, color, size, style, etc.). Again, I got a lot of feedback from my mom, mostly opinions on which fonts worked, which placements looked the best, and how to tell if the font size was big enough. But let’s start from the beginning…
I’ve always liked my name and my initials, and I like doodling and coming up with creative ways to write my name. So when I heard about this logo project and picked my topic to be “about me”, I knew that my name would likely play a part in my logo. Unfortunately, the week our draft logos were due was very busy, so I didn’t do much planning until the night before and the night that the draft was due. I sketched my name and initials in many different fashions, but none of them really seemed to have a logo feel. In hindsight, I think the problem was that I didn’t have a product or service that I was trying to convey through the design of the logo; I was simply messing around with my name/initials. A lot of my inspiration also came from sites I looked up with tons of examples of personal logos. Also, a few years ago I discovered the awesomeness of ambigrams. I wanted to see if I could make my name into a specific type of ambigram called a spinonym.
Anyway, none of my name/initials ideas were really inspiring or satisfying me, so I showed my mom what I had so far and asked for some suggestions. And of course, she had the perfect advice: “I’m suggesting breaking away from the letters so that you can focus on what it is about you that you want to communicate in a logo. It could be that you end up back with letters but you’ll have discovered what it is about you that you want to convey.”
So I decided to make a logo as though I were setting up a photography business. (After all, I’m an avid photographer… Who knows? Someday I might use this for as an actual logo!) Then, after being inspired by the crescent shape in this camera’s lens, I decided to make it even more personal, by adding the “blue moon” motif, since I was born on a blue moon! (Yes, I know “blue moons” aren’t actually blue, but I wanted some color in my logo!) I used the layering effect I learned in the Safari Icon Illustrator Tutorial to build the camera shape. Finding a good font was actually really tricky, but eventually I settled on “Candela“, a free font I downloaded from Font Squirrel. (Yes, I checked the license and other terms; and yes, it says it can be use for both commercial and non-commercial works).
Overall, this project was really fun. I also like the peer critique period too; I wish more people in my group had uploaded their logos! But I had fun looking at the logos of people outside my group too.
That’s all for now!